Power City Dublin
- Power City is an Irish electrical retailer of consumer and electronic goods with branches in Blanchardstown, Coolock, Tallaght, Finglas, Fonthill, Sallynoggin, Drogheda and Bray. The Drogheda store, was opened in September 2006, the second outside Dublin.
- capital and largest city and major port of the Irish Republic
- The capital city of the Republic of Ireland, on the Irish Sea at the mouth of the Liffey River; pop. 477,700
- Dublin (locally or) is the primate and capital city of Ireland. It is officially known in Irish as Baile Átha Cliath or Áth Cliath . The English name comes from the Irish Dubh Linn meaning “black pool”.
- A county in the Republic of Ireland, in the province of Leinster; county town, Dublin
- Dublin (formerly, Amador and Dougherty’s Station) is a suburban city of the East (San Francisco) Bay region of Alameda County, California, United States.
power city dublin – The trial
This collection reveals the history of English common law and Empire law in a vastly changing world of British expansion. Dominating the legal field is the Commentaries of the Law of England by Sir William Blackstone, which first appeared in 1765. Reference works such as almanacs and catalogues continue to educate us by revealing the day-to-day workings of society.
The below data was compiled from various identification fields in the bibliographic record of this title. This data is provided as an additional tool in helping to insure edition identification:
Harvard University Law Library
Introduction signed: Arch. Hamilton Rowan. With a half-title.
Dublin : printed by J. Chambers, 1790. xv,,56p. ; 8°
The name Dublin is a Hiberno-English derivative of ‘Dubh Linn’ (Irish, dubh -> black, and linn -> pool). Historically, in the traditional Gaelic script used for the Irish language, ‘bh’ was written with a dot over the ‘b’, viz ‘Duḃ Linn’ or ‘Duḃlinn’. Those without a knowledge of Irish omitted the dot and spelled the name variously as ‘Develyn’ or ‘Dublin’.
The common name for the city in Modern Irish is ‘Baile Átha Cliath’ (‘The Settlement of the Ford of the Reed Hurdles’). It was first written as such in 1368 in the Annals of Ulster. ‘Áth Cliath’ is a place-name referring to a fording point of the Liffey in the vicinity of Heuston Station. ‘Baile Átha Cliath’ was later applied to an early Christian monastery which is believed to have been situated in the area of Aungier Street currently occupied by Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church.
The subsequent Viking settlement was on the River Poddle, a tributary of the Liffey, to the East of Christchurch, in the area known as Wood Quay. The Dubh Linn was a lake used by the Vikings to moor their ships and was connected to the Liffey by the Poddle. The Dubh Linn and Poddle were covered during the early 1700s, and as the city expanded they were largely forgotten about. The Dubh Linn was situated where the Castle Garden is now located, opposite the Chester Beatty Library in Dublin Castle.
The writings of the Greek astronomer and cartographer Ptolemy provide perhaps the earliest reference to human habitation in the area now known as Dublin. In around A.D. 140 he referred to a settlement he called Eblana Civitas. The settlement ‘Dubh Linn’ dates perhaps as far back as the first century BC and later a monastery was built there, though the town was established in about 841 by the Norse. The modern city retains the Anglicised Irish name of the former and the original Irish name of the latter. After the Norman invasion of Ireland, Dublin became the key centre of military and judicial power, with much of the power centering on Dublin Castle until independence. From the 14th to late 16th centuries, English crown control over Ireland was limited to a section of territory, known as the Pale, which included Dublin at its southern end, and Dundalk at its northern extremity. The Parliament was located in Drogheda for several centuries, but was switched permanently to Dublin after Henry VII conquered the County Kildare in 1504. The sacking of Drogheda, and massacre of her citizens, by Oliver Cromwell, in 1649, resulted in Dublin becoming the dominant port city in Ireland.
Dublin also had local city administration via its Corporation from the Middle Ages. This represented the city’s guild-based oligarchy until it was reformed in the 1840s on increasingly democratic lines.
The Custom House on the north bank of the River Liffey
From the 17th century the city expanded rapidly, helped by the Wide Streets Commission. Georgian Dublin was, for a short time, the second city of the British Empire after London and the fifth largest European city. Much of Dublin’s most notable architecture dates from this time and is considered a golden era for the city. In 1749, the relocation of the Guinness brewery from Leixlip, to St.James Gate, resulted in a considerable economic impact for the city, which is felt to this day. For much of the time since its foundation, the Guinness Brewery was the largest employer in the city. In 1742 Handel’s "Messiah" was performed for the first time in New Musick Hall in Fishamble Street with 26 boys and five men from the combined choirs of St.Patrick’s and Christ Church cathedrals participating.
After 1800, with the seat of government moving to Westminster, Dublin entered a period of decline. Dublin was still the centre of administration and a transport hub for much of Ireland. Dublin did not feature in the Industrial revolution, which was concentrated in Belfast, and had a minor role Derry, Cork
The Easter Rising of 1916 took place in several parts of the city, bringing much physical destruction to the city centre. The Anglo-Irish War and Irish Civil War contributed even more destruction, leaving some of its finest buildings in ruins. The Irish Free State government rebuilt the city centre and located the Dáil (parliament) in Leinster House.
The formation of t
power city dublin